WIG Health Projects
Overview – What We Do
WIG helps patients to access medical care during free surgical clinics at Mahosot Hospital in Vientiane and at outreach programs in the provinces. We work together with Mahosot Hospital and two visiting medical teams– Bridge the Gap from the Netherlands, and Interplast Australia & New Zealand — to help pay for the patients’ food and transportation costs, and provide overall non-medical support.
The support that WIG provides has been crucial in enabling hundreds of patients through the years to receive life-changing surgery. Many patients come from remote rural ares in Laos where medical care is limited, in some cases traveling two or three days to reach the hospital. During their stay at the hospital, patients and their carers must forego their work and family obligations. Without WIG support, many of them would not be able to afford the treatment they need.
How We Make a Difference
All of the money and provisions are paid for by WIG funds raised through fundraising activities and donations. WIG volunteers offer their time and energy to organize logistics and to visit patients at the hospital. The money and provisions are handed directly to the patients and their families.
We provide support to approximately 40 to 70 patients during each surgical program. WIG has helped more than 830 patients access treatment at surgical programs over the past five years (2012-2016).
- February 8th – 18th 2016, Interplast program at Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane
- January 17th – 22nd 2016, Bride the Gap Program at Provincial Hospital, Luang Prabang
- January 10th – 15th 2016, Bride the Gap program at Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane
- November 29th – December 11th 2015, Interplast program at Phonsavan Hospital, Xieng Khouan
- February 9-20, 2015. Interplast program at Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane
- January 11-23, 2015. Bridge the Gap program at Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane
- August 31-September 12, 2014. Interplast program at Lao-Mongolian Friendship Hospital, Xieng Khouang. WIG volunteers’ travel costs were paid by a donation from Phu Bia Mining.
- February 24-March 7, 2014. Interplast program at Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane
- January 13-24, 2014. Bridge the Gap program at Mahosot Hospital, Vientiane
How You Can Help
There are a number of ways you can help:
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, towel, and toilet paper. On your next trip, please save the extra amenities and bring them to a WIG event or contact a WIG council member.
- Donations of clean children’s clothes, small size men’s clothes, blankets, and coloring books and pencils for children.
- Volunteers to visit the hospital to distribute money and provisions
- Individual donations gladly accepted.
For more information about Health Projects please contact: